How To Make Halal Japanese Chicken Katsu In Just 5 Steps
Have you ever heard of Chicken Katsu (チキンカツ) before? Chicken Katsu is breaded fried chicken and what makes it different from normal fried chicken is that it's light in taste, and crunchy on the outside but juicy in the inside. Normally, Japanese will eat it as a meal with rice, cabbage, and miso soup but other than that it's also great as a topping for Japanese curry!
Chicken Katsu is the Halal version of Tonkatsu
When you ask Japanese what will come in their mind when they think of "katsu" , most will answer Tonkatsu (pork cutlet) as it is more commonly found in Japanese teishoku (meal) restaurants. But since we can't eat Tonkatsu, Chicken Katsu is the best alternative for it and it is very easy to make.
Halal Chicken Katsu Recipe
- 2 piece of skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 pc Egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (we recommend Japanese Panko)
- katsu sauce (can also be replaced with okonomi sauce)
How to cook Chicken Katsu
- Butterfly the Chicken Breast and lightly pounce the chicken.
- Season it with salt and pepper
- Coat the chicken with flour, and then egg and finally cover it with breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry chicken in hot oil for 2 minutes, each side or until it turns into golden brown.
- Serve with katsu sauce / okonomi sauce and cabbage. Best have it with Japanese curry!
Easy right? Share your chicken katsu below in the comment or tag us on instagram @halalnavi !